Pukklink or NapLink?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

cdoty

Pukklink or NapLink?

Post by cdoty »

Which is the best method to use for PS2 dev?

Is NapLink the only solution that supports printing to the console window?
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

There are three options for getting output to your PC.

1. Naplink

Naplink uses a PL2301 USB-USB cable. On the client side you can get NapClient which is a nice windows interface and console.

2. Pukklink/Ps2Link

Ps2Link is the open source version of Pukklink originally released by Pukko. These use the Sony Ethernet adapter and TCP/IP to connect to the PC. On the PC side you can use Inlink, pksh, or ps2client. Each of the clients have their own benefits.

3. Serial IO

mrbrown put together a diagram to demonstrate how to connect a serial interface to the PS2. This involves openning up the PS2 and doing some soldering. The benefit is that because its close to the hardware you can debug drivers and such things easier.

For general programming the best option is Ps2Link using the ethernet adapter. To boot Ps2link you can either use a modchip or ps2 independance via a memory card.

Hope that helps.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

personally the ethernet solution is the best, since ps2link is in cvs and actively worked on to make it better for deving.

and printing/reading/writing to pc works with both naplink, pukklink, ps2link.
Kung VU
redfield

the best way for me

Post by redfield »

With no doubts Inlink or ps2link :) these are the best tools to help you connecting your ps2 with your pc

REDFIELD
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

personally I think pksh and ps2link is the next best thing since sliced bread, I might be somewhat biased though ;)
Kung VU