the "WAREZ" word

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

brouanet

the "WAREZ" word

Post by brouanet »

I am revolted when I see that as soon as something do not like to you, you speak about "WAREZ".

STOP IT GUYS

Mr Browm is the better exemple, his exploit, if we follow his logic, is "WAREZ", it used to
boot backup games.

But, i on the forum or irc, we speak about :

- DVD Playins
- Memory card
- Hard disk Loader
- And anything else referring itself to game....

IT'S FOR YOU "WAREZ" :-(

But, it'is not warez to do a Hard Disk loader for games, or another things...

And your community is a world community, and in all of the world, the laws are
differents.

I hope that this topic will be able to begin a debate on the question as open as your
source code and your knowledge,
and than it will not be blocked by a regulator (ok Mr. Brown ). :D

Peace and Love ...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Want me to hold your hand when you cross the street, too?
Lukasz

You are missing a point.

Post by Lukasz »

This forum or the irc channel it is associated has to do with a hobby of doing legal homebrew development.

Its targeted towards those who are interested in PS2 as a machine to develop on and have a little fun with.

What you are refering to is hacking/"warezing" of already existing software to make it do something else than what was intended.

This not the purpose of the homebrew ps2dev community

We do simply not tolerate such activities, similar to Sony's official PS2 gaming forums at playstation.com, they do no tolerate anything that doesn't have some relation to gaming on PS2.

So what you must understand is that you will not find any one would would be willing to help with such actitivities as the ones you refer to.

There are other sites such as consolenewz.com and ps2ownz.com which would be interested, we however are not.

When you say our community is a world community, it isn't entirely true, because as you yourself experienced, we control it.

So I and others would appriciate if you could understand this and not start a war, but instead become part of a community which has the same interests as you, like the sites i refered to above.

Thanks for your understanding.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Re: the "WAREZ" word

Post by Drakonite »

Yes, ps2dev is community that stretches the globe, but that does not give us the right to pick and choose which laws from which countries we wish to follow. There are specific countries we must follow the laws of, and to some extent we must watch the laws of multiple countries.

But simply put, the rules of this community are not purely based on the laws of any various country. We are a private commnity, and as such we have our own rules that those of us who have been here, participated, and contributed have agreed upon.

Mrbrown's ps2-independence exploit is no more a warez tool than the game Agent Under Fire for Xbox or a PS2 Demo disc. Do they have anything to do with warez? No. Have they all been abused by someone to make some unrelated warez utility work? Yup.

So how is it we can label other things such as a Hard Disk loader or extracting game files as unnacceptable? In those cases, they are clearly meant to create a copy of a copyrighted game, or to make copies of copyrighted resource files. Deciding what post is and is not against the rules is not always a cut and dry decision, so so in a very small number of cases we must simple say anything regarding a certain subject is against the rules.

All in all the rules here are pretty loose, but we do have the lines drawn clearly and clearly warn anyone who goes to far into a gray area.

If you or anyone else are willing to stay within the rules we would love to see more people here, but if you or anyone else doesn't like our rules, then there are better places for you.

I am locking this thread, and like any other thread I lock, if you have any comments or questions about that, feel free to send me a private message.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development