NEW RELEASE: WIFI HTTP/FTP DOWNLOAD APP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dbeyer3069

NEW RELEASE: WIFI HTTP/FTP DOWNLOAD APP

Post by dbeyer3069 »

I'm happy to announce the release of URL2PSP -- a WIFI application for HTTP/FTP downloading.

FOR VERSION 1.5 -- PLEASE TEST ON LOADERS AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS.

This application, URL2PSP does the following:

It allows you to download files (binary) through http:// or ftp:// (public) protocol directly to your PSP by entering the URLS at our website (since the PSP has no easy input method!). This is a FREE program and service and we hope everyone will find it as useful as we do (It really moves - 17K per second has been about the slowest so far!).

You may download the program here:

www.bestsoftworks.com/fileshare.htm

As soon as possible, the file will be uploaded to this website's file area. This is a BETA release and has been tested heavily and works great!

PLEASE read the included readme.txt file in the .zip as well as the instructions at the above web address before use.

Please enjoy and provide feedback!

David Beyer
dbeyer3069

Re: NEW RELEASE: WIFI HTTP/FTP DOWNLOAD APP

Post by dbeyer3069 »

dbeyer3069 wrote:I'm happy to announce the release of URL2PSP -- a WIFI application for HTTP/FTP downloading.

FOR VERSION 1.5 -- PLEASE TEST ON LOADERS AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS.
Feedback has been very positive and a number of people are using it (according to them).

The next release will be around the end of the week and will include:

>>> kbps transfer rate reporting
>>> automatic skipping of files if they will exceed the memory stick storage.
>>> the ability to import the files you want to download from a textfile instead. Those already using the website can continue to do so. Both options will work.
>>> automatic relocation of PSP compatible images, video and sound files into their proper directory if you enable the feature.

Other suggestions are welcome before the next release. Feedback on loaders would be appreciated (my PSP is 1.5 already).

David Beyer
mrn

Post by mrn »

since the PSP has no easy input method!
Hi David, why do not you just port F.o.s.k to C/C++ and use it for your project...
It would be really simple then to input any text. And fast, of course.

check it out,
http://fosk4psp.dynamicweb.hu/
m
dbeyer3069

Post by dbeyer3069 »

mrn wrote:
since the PSP has no easy input method!
Hi David, why do not you just port F.o.s.k to C/C++ and use it for your project...
It would be really simple then to input any text. And fast, of course.

check it out,
http://fosk4psp.dynamicweb.hu/
m
My original thought was I know how long and tedious it generally is for me to enter text in the games/apps I have used on the PSP. Some of the urls needed to get to a file get quite complicated and long. I could see a keyboard helping with some but not all cases. If I get more requests for it, I may do it -- or strike a deal with someone else that has already made one in C and use it for this app. My intent is to make the app as useful as possible -- so anything is possible.

The next version will let you import the urls from a text file in addition to the web site. This will help those that are reluctant to use the web site (for whatever reason). The web was a quick solution to get started with.

Have you used the app yet to do file transfers? How do you like it? Someone else suggested a different way to write data to the drive which may speed things up too (17kbps has been the worst I've seen).

David Beyer