animated splash screen

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mauve.simian

animated splash screen

Post by mauve.simian »

Hi, I am wanting to take a simple cell-shaded animation I made in Blender and put it as a splash / intro to my app. I don't want to just load each frame as png and blit if I can avoid it.

Its a 90 frame animation or so and fairly simple. I had thought of having it as an mng or even animated gif. Is there any code / examples of displaying these on the PSP? Other than that, how would you guys here suggest implementing this? Would an AVI etc be better? Looking for ease of development at the moment, not too worried about an overly flexible solution.

Thanks for you time.
johnsto

Post by johnsto »

I'm doing pretty much the same thing, using Blender for some 'busy' animations in an app I'm writing.

What I've resorted to doing is having Blender spit out a sequence of PNGs, using ImageMagick ('convert -append *.png output.png') to join them altogether into a tall image, and then blitting a frame at a time. Just like as you said.

Works perfectly and easy to do. Main problem with this is you can't specify frametimes in the bitmap (unlike GIF or MNG) and that there is no temporal compression. However this isn't a problem for the small anims I've been using (ranging from 20 frames of 32x16 to 40 frames of 64x64)
mauve.simian

Post by mauve.simian »

My animation is about 90 frames and pretty much full screen, so if i can avoid the brute force approach it would be great. Has anyone thought of porting libmng to the psp? Or is there example code to display an AVI (or any other video format for that matter) anywhere?

Have thought of simple ways of 'encoding' and displaying my particular animation, but if my animation changes drastically, or I want to use this method later, it would require a rewrite.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

you could always make small frames in the size of
128x128 to save space and screen space
make sure each frame has alpha around the sprite that
is to be animated and then just change the psp background
color to black for example and that should optimize
your animation a bit instead of using 90 frames of 480x272
bitmaps
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010