Pukklink, inlink adaptor newbie questions.

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Ultrarodimus

Pukklink, inlink adaptor newbie questions.

Post by Ultrarodimus »

Ok, I am new to this, but I want to develop games for the PS2 and test them and see if they work or not.

1) What do I need to buy? The network adaptor for the ps2? Sharkport? Nport? Do I also need a ethernet cord or usb port?

2)What software do I need?

3) Where do I buy and get these things from?

4) How do all these things work together?

5) Do I have to burn pukklink to CD? If yes, do I need a modified PS 2? Hope not.

6) Can you give me a step by step setup?

I searched the forums for this, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

UR
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

1)
a) There are two routes, over the network or over a USB cable. Network is recommened and for that you will need a PS2 network adapter and a way to network your PS2 with your computer (either through your home network/router or a crossover cable directly connected to your PC)
If you chose to go the USB route, you need a USB neworking cable that is based off of the Prolific PL2301 chip. You'll have to read the specs on the back of the box to see if a cable uses the PL2301 chip or not.
b) You need some way to boot, which means either a modchip or the ps2-independence exploit. If using the PS2-ind exploit you need some way of putting a custom save onto a memory card, which means either a friend with a modded PS2, or some commercial device such as the Sharkport/Xport.

2)
You need the PS2 GCC toolchain as well as PS2SDK and very possibly a seperate gfx library (such as gslib, gskit, or libito). You also need software for sending programs to your PS2 via the methods described in 1).
For network you need PS2LINK running on the PS2 (Pukklink is outdated), and a client on the PC side such as ps2client, ps2exec, pksh, etc. (Inlink is also a PC side client but is also very outdated and not recommended)
For USB you'll need naplink on th PS2 and a client such as npsh on the PC.

3)
Software is available at www.ps2dev.org. The hardware can be found at your local Video Game or electronics store.

4)
Program using a text editor, compile with the toolchain, send programs to PS2 for testing via link software described in 2)

5)
As I mentioned in 2), pukklink is outdated and it is recommended to use PS2LINK instead. PS2LINK can be ran via PS2-IND exploit and does not require being burnt to a CD.

6)
Not really. A step by step guide is a lot of work that no one has had the time and ambition to do. You should be aware that there aren't any step by step PS2 programming guides either. The PS2 is quite complex and it can be quite difficult to program for sometimes, especially when compared to a PC. It can also be much more rewarding.

These questions have been answered many times on the forums... maybe this should be made sticky?
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Ultrarodimus

Post by Ultrarodimus »

Thanks for replying and giving me so many details.

Yeah, maybe this should be a sticky being that when I searched, many of the answers where just complicated for me. This seemed to work fine.

But let me run this by you again step by step (Not to be a pain), but just to make sure I got this all right:

1) Buy a network adaptor (This is the route I am gonna take), attach it to the playstation. Attach the ethernet cord to the router and the PS2. Get another Ethernet cord and attach it to my computer.

2) Buy the sharkport. Download the ps2-ind exploit. Transfer it over with the Sharkport to a memory card.

3) Burn PS2Link to a cd (Which will be the cd that the PS2 will use.

4) Use ps2client or any of the other clients on the PC.

5) Pop in the ps2link cd and run it. and then run the client on the pc and Viola!

Did I get this all right?

My question where I was confused is, Does PSlink get run off your computer through the exploit? Or do you put in a burned CD of the ps2link and it will read the memory card and the save on the card will take care of everything? Thats the only part I dont understand, thats confusing on how the ps2 will run the software.

Thanks again for the help.

UR
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

You put PS2LINK on the memory card with the exploit. What the exploit does is run a program off of the memory card. No CDs involved.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

Drakonite wrote:You put PS2LINK on the memory card with the exploit. What the exploit does is run a program off of the memory card. No CDs involved.
IMO, what Drakonite meant to say is you don't have to burn a CD, but you will need a PS1 game CD involved to run the program off of the memory card. (the PS1 game CD disc id must be in the TITLE.DB file on the memory card)--see mrbrown's web site, if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.0xd6.org/
Ultrarodimus

Post by Ultrarodimus »

Thanks. Its clear to me now. Thanks both for your help.

I think I am well on my way with this. This should be a sticky cause it was very helpful to me.

UR