ps2sdk 1.1 echo demo

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

strider

ps2sdk 1.1 echo demo

Post by strider »

This is a bit of a newbie question because I'm starting to shift from PS2LIB to PS2SDK environment. I attempted to install PS2SDK binary and the Toolchain from scratch (just to get started with a clean baseline). However, I am having problems compiling any of the samples due to the simple absence of key files.

I decided to focus specifically on the echo demo because I'm working on some TCPIP related code. I found it interesting that as installed it is impossible to compile.

1) By default, the paths don't map correctly to files in the same installation. They are at a different depth and reference BIN when the actual files are in IRX.
2) Two of the required files are not even present in the installation. I've read the notes on ps2smap.irx so I understand the licensing issue there, but a note to that effect would be nice in the source or Makefile. Then ps2echo.irx is missing altogether and not sure where to locate it.

Hopefully these are fixed in the CVS directory for next release, though browsing online it doesn't look like it. Also, I went over the entire PS2DEV site and although I found repeated references to the CVS repository and can browse individual files through the View CVS, I didn't find any documentation on actually accessing CVS via command-line, WinCVS, or any other such tools. I'm sure its in the forums and I had details on it from another source, but something worth updating on the web-site for newbies, possibly off the page where the BIN versions are downloaded and in Docs.

Anyway, just some not so helpful thoughts. If anyone knows where I should pull the ps2echo.irx from, please let me know.

Thanks!
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The easy part first.. I linked to the CVS access when I did news the other day. Instructions for settings are:

http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=706

The question about tcpip is a bit more difficult. I haven't looked at the ps2echo code for a long time. It is really up to people like yourself to find these problems, and either tell us how to fix it. Or even better ask me for CVS write access and fix it (private message me if you want access).

Hope that atleast starts to answer your questions.
Oobles.
Neovanglist
Site Admin

Post by Neovanglist »

The ps2echo sample from ps2sdk doesn't even have a Makefile. I'll whip one up and commit it to CVS tonight for ya. (Assuming it actually compiles and doesn't go fux0r.)

Also, the TCP/IP stuff from the EE side (via PS2IPS RPC) is somewhat broken. Anything involving select() and FD_ISSET will not work correctly. This breaks the echo demo on the EE side. (If you're using the EE side echo demo, which you are not.)

If you need any help with TCP/IP stuffs just post here or send me a line on IRC. (I'm NeoV)

Edit: Err, I said this then immediately forgot about doing it. Sorry about that, I'll check things out toneight and give a a shot. (For real this time!)
Last edited by Neovanglist on Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Neovanglist
strider

Post by strider »

Thanks for the updates Oobles and NeoV. I'll work through these items first and then get back with you with follow-up questions as necessary.

Thanks again!