PSP as USB Client?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

lynx44

PSP as USB Client?

Post by lynx44 »

Hi, I'm trying to find a work around for the Rock Band/Guitar Hero controller issue on the PS3 (the guitar controllers are not compatible with each other). I realize that they most likely will release a patch at some point, but I think it would be cool to have a solution (even a hokey one) until a patch is released, as one still hasn't been officially announced.

First I was hoping that a computer could just be used as the middleman between the guitar controller and the PS3, and it could convert the codes. I made a simple program with LibUSB in Linux that can read in the codes that the guitars give off when a button is pressed. However, because on PC's, USB ports are hosts, there's no way to transmit the data back out of a standard USB port to the PS3, as they would both be hosts. I've been told that I would need a microcontroller in order to do this. Since its just a temporary solution (hopefully), that would be overkill, I don't want to go into a business or anything with this.

So basically, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a somewhat over the top, but workable solution with the PSP. First, the user would plug their guitar into a computer. The computer would then send this signal over WiFi to the PSP. The PSP would then serve this information to the PS3, as it is a client based device as far as I know.

Would this solution be possible? I know its kind of a ridiculous set up, but for a free workable solution it sounds like a fun project, but I don't want to attempt it unless its possible.

Thanks,
-Matt
psychoticsmiley

Post by psychoticsmiley »

That doesn't sound possible, the psp would be receiving signal from the pc, and would only be transmitting data back to the pc.

Think of a wireless connection like a serial connection to and from.

why not just try to bypass the psp in this case, there probably is an easier way to send the signal to the ps3 either wifi or not.

The usb host issue, should be a non issue, the ps3 can receive information from the usb as well as host it. smarter devices switch between host and not host.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Yes, the PSP is a USB client, and so it is technically possible, but it will be tricky.

The interfaces are undocumented but Tyranid has already figured out most of the details (see the psplink/usbhostfs source).